In June of 2009, I had the unique opportunity to go to Toluca, Mexico for a month as a part of the linguistics program of UNT. Toluca's an industrial town for the most part, isolated and fairly traditional, but surprisingly culturally focused in a very modern sense. I was lucky enough to stay with a family that lived right across the street from the Felipe Villanueva Concert Hall, home to the Orquesta Sinfónica del Estado de México, where I attended several concerts, as well as a master recital at the conservatory connected. Their symphonic orchestra is internationally renowned and honestly, where I encountered some of the only people who spoke English...French, Russian, German, etc...
One afternoon, though, I wandered into a coffee shop/venue where a few bands were playing. It made me very nostalgic for Denton, with its sort of independent vibe and quirky atmosphere. Among other things, I took a few pictures and got on the email list of one of the bands, Los Puercorama. Recently, they sent out an email saying they had gotten on the radio. I just tuned in online (ah, the miracles of modern technology) and am pretty much in love. Not only have I heard a whole lot of great music en espanol, but I have also heard some songs in English I have never heard before, and pretty much everything is awesome. It is the closest I have heard to a station like FM 91.7, which is quickly garnering for itself a reputation of eclecticism and is the only station I can stand to listen to here in North Texas.
Highlights of this evening's program on IMER:
Bloc Party "This Modern Love"
Two Door Cinema Club "Something Good Can Work"
The Black Keys "Strange Times"
Skream and Example "Shot Yourself In The Foot Again"
Listen to both!
IMER
KXT
Monday, February 28, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment